In our recent post, we’ve rounded up some of the best industrial DIY projects. And we know how much you loved it! So today, we’ve got another project for you — add an industrial flair in your home with a DIY industrial wood sign! Hang it on your wall and show your love for the industrial design.
What You Need to Make an Industrial Wood Sign
Here are some of the materials you need to create an industrial wood sign:
- Pine boards / Salvaged wood – This will serve as the base of your sign. Alternatively, if you have salvaged wood laying around, it would be better because it’s naturally distressed and will save you some bucks.
- Nail Gun / Nails & Hammer – Use a nail gun to secure the woods. But you can just use a nail and hammer if you don’t have one.
- Paint – Since we’re going for the industrial look, it would be better if you paint your wood with dark or grey color.
- Wood Stain – Add an aged wood effect with a wood stain paint if you’re not using a salvaged wood.
- Foam Brush – Use this to apply the wood stain to the wood.
- Sandpaper – This will be used to create the distressed look on the wood.
- Stencil – Use a stencil to engrave or write your favorite quote or your family name on the wood sign.
- Paper Mache Letter (optional) – Use a 3d cardboard letter if you want your sign to have a 3d effect.
How to Make a DIY Industrial Wood Sign
A wood sign would be a great addition to go along with your other industrial DIY crafts. Excited to create your industrial wood sign? Here’s how:
- Have your pine boards cut to your liking. Lay out all the pine woods or your salvaged wood. Secure them with a nail gun once you’ve marked and lined them up.
- Paint the board with your desired paint once you have it set up. Let it dry and use a sandpaper to create a distressed effect on the board. If you’re not happy with the color, you can paint and sand it again until you like the color. For an extra distressed look, you can punch a few places of the board with the claw of the hammer.
- After you’ve achieved the look as well as the color you want, apply the wood stain on the board with a foam brush and let it dry.
- Use a stencil to write out the quote or the words you want on the board.
- Now if you want to go the extra mile, you can use the paper mache letters. Paint it black and then once it’s dried, paint it over with a silver metallic paint. Drag or slightly swipe the silver metallic paint with a paper towel to create the look of a metal. Glue upholstery pins on the edges of the letter to make it more “industrialized.”
There you have it! Your DIY industrial wood sign. Hang it on your living room or family area and adore your work.